Hotels & accommodations
You'll spend most of your time abroad learning and exploring, but you should also know what to expect when you settle in for the night.
A good night’s sleep is important, so travelers can count on safe, clean and comfortable hotels with private bathrooms. For travelers’ protection and comfort, our team regularly inspects hotels to determine whether they comply with EF’s standards for cleanliness, quality, and, most importantly, safety. When identifying hotels to work with, our team evaluates whether the properties meet local standards, including means of fire detection and alert as well as available emergency exits. EF also works with industry expert Argent Health and Safety as we regularly review and evaluate our hotel standards and selection process. Additionally, Field Directors conduct nightly checks at all hotels to evaluate compliance with key safety requirements.
What to expect
Please keep in mind that groups may not all be roomed next to each other and may be on different floors. Depending on your program choice, hotels may be located outside the city center.
Also, some common differences from North American hotels include:
- Rooms are usually smaller and have multiple single and/or shared double beds.
- Rooms seldom have air conditioning or televisions.
- Not all hotels have elevators.
- WiFi may not always be available or only accessible in the lobby.
- Please note: If your itinerary involves a Greek cruise, you’ll receive specific details about those accommodations later.
On some occasions, couchettes may not be exclusive to EF travelers and may be mixed gender. Single rooms and private bathrooms are not available on overnight trains.
Overnight ferries are a fun and efficient way to travel from one country to another. To ensure smooth sailing, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Travelers age 29 and under will room 3-4 to a cabin and have the option to upgrade to a twin or single cabin, if available.
- Adult travelers (age 30 and older) will share twin cabins with adult travelers of the same gender, with the option to upgrade to a single cabin. If single or twin cabins are not available, adult travelers will room 3-4 to a cabin and will be eligible for a refund of that evening's upgrade cost as outlined in our Booking Conditions.
- Double beds are not available on overnight ferries.
- Cabins are exclusive to EF travelers.
- Basic cabin amenities include air conditioning and a private bathroom.
- The services offered onboard vary by ship, but all ferries include a self-service restaurant, Internet access and shops.
- There is very limited luggage space on overnight ferries. With that in mind, please pack light if your itinerary includes an overnight ferry.